» How to choose a mattress in a box - what is the difference between mattresses in a box and traditional mattresses?
When you think about it, a mattress in a box is just a mattress that comes shipped in a box. It makes shipping and storing easy and convenient.
According to a report from Consumer Reports, independent laboratory ratings and testing prove that beds-in-a-box offer good durability, firmness, and stability.
While there are no reports, it is believed that these boxes are cheaper to ship, which helps consumers since they get to enjoy the product at a cheaper rate. All a buyer has to do is take the mattress out of the box, lay it where it’s supposed to go, and you’re done.
They are carefully packed and do not sustain any damage or lose their shape. However, it can take a mattress up to 3 days to get back to its normal shape once it is taken out of the box. In addition to this, you can keep the mattress store in a box for up to 2 months without any worries.
But, there is a downside. It can be nearly impossible for buyers to squeeze the mattress back into the box if they ever decide to return it.
» How to choose the right type of mattress
Now that you know what to consider when selecting a mattress, let’s go into some details now:
- The Material: Here are the pros and cons of the three most popular options:
- Spring: Spring mattress is comfortable and has a bounce to it but it may not be the most suitable option for individuals with backache since it does not offer good alignment and may not be suitable for heavy individuals.
- Latex: Latex can be a good pick for backache, especially chronic back pain, since it contours to the body and provides excellent cushioning. Moreover, it contains no harmful chemicals and is safe to sleep on.
- Memory Foam: This option is said to be the best option for individuals with backache since it usually contains multiple layers and offers excellent customization. We’ve explained more about memory foam later in this article.
- Hybrid: Hybrid is a mix of different types such as foam and spring. It can be suitable for individuals who have minor issues but may not be suitable if you have chronic back pain.
- The Trial Period: This will allow you to get to test a product and return it if it fails to provide you a level of comfort that you expect. Some products come with no trial period, some offer a 30-day trial, and some even offer 100 or more nights trial.
- The Firmness: The ideal firmness level mainly depends on your weight:
- Soft is best for individuals for those under 130 pounds
- Medium is best for those between 130 to 230 pounds
- Firm is most suitable for those above 230 pounds
» What is the price of a good mattress?
When you enter the market to buy a mattress for back pain, you will find that the prices start as low as $500 and often go as high as $2,500. This huge range can often leave buyers confused since they cannot decide which product to go for.
The truth is that manufacturers make products for all kinds of buyers – from those who can afford to spend $2,000 on a mattress to those who can only afford to spend about $500.
To be clear here, the cheapest mattress can never be good for backache, so do not even pay attention to the ones that cost $500. Most decent mattresses for back pain start as low as $700-900. You can find some better products for about $1200.
Factors such as the label, mattress type or material, thickness, size, warranty, and trial period also impact the price. Some companies do not offer very high-quality products but they charge a premium price due to the brand name. There isn’t much point in selecting such a seller since your main agenda should be to get a high-quality mattress for back pain.
Moreover, we must also mention that some companies offer free shipping and free mattress removal and installation services (including in the cost of the mattress) that can add up to the price. Pay special attention to this feature since paying for shipping and installation can add up to $300 to the actual price.
All in all, expect to spend between $800-1500 for a decent mattress for back pain. If you want a luxurious product, then it can go up to $2,000.