» What is memory foam and advantages of memory foam mattresses
Memory foam consists of polyurethane and other such materials that make it very dense and comfortable to lay on. Memory foam offers excellent cushioning and contouring. It can adapt to the shape of your body and provides excellent cushioning to not just the back but the entire body that keeps your spine aligned and ensures you wake up feeling fresh.
The best thing about memory foam is that it typically comes with multiple layers. Since foam can get hot, it is best to look for a mattress that contains a comfortable cover and a layer of gel-infused memory foam that helps regulate temperature so that you do not feel sweaty or hot no matter how hot the surroundings get.
Other than this, memory foam is highly affordable and durable. It’s made to last for 6-8 years but you will easily find products that come with a longer warranty.
Note: Make sure to go for one that’s at least 8” thick. Plus, it’s the best for couples since memory foam reduces motion transfer
» How to choose the right type of mattress
Now that you know what to consider when selecting a mattress, let’s go into some details now:
- The Material: Here are the pros and cons of the three most popular options:
- Spring: Spring mattress is comfortable and has a bounce to it but it may not be the most suitable option for individuals with backache since it does not offer good alignment and may not be suitable for heavy individuals.
- Latex: Latex can be a good pick for backache, especially chronic back pain, since it contours to the body and provides excellent cushioning. Moreover, it contains no harmful chemicals and is safe to sleep on.
- Memory Foam: This option is said to be the best option for individuals with backache since it usually contains multiple layers and offers excellent customization. We’ve explained more about memory foam later in this article.
- Hybrid: Hybrid is a mix of different types such as foam and spring. It can be suitable for individuals who have minor issues but may not be suitable if you have chronic back pain.
- The Trial Period: This will allow you to get to test a product and return it if it fails to provide you a level of comfort that you expect. Some products come with no trial period, some offer a 30-day trial, and some even offer 100 or more nights trial.
- The Firmness: The ideal firmness level mainly depends on your weight:
- Soft is best for individuals for those under 130 pounds
- Medium is best for those between 130 to 230 pounds
- Firm is most suitable for those above 230 pounds
» What is the price of a good mattress?
When you enter the market to buy a mattress for back pain, you will find that the prices start as low as $500 and often go as high as $2,500. This huge range can often leave buyers confused since they cannot decide which product to go for.
The truth is that manufacturers make products for all kinds of buyers – from those who can afford to spend $2,000 on a mattress to those who can only afford to spend about $500.
To be clear here, the cheapest mattress can never be good for backache, so do not even pay attention to the ones that cost $500. Most decent mattresses for back pain start as low as $700-900. You can find some better products for about $1200.
Factors such as the label, mattress type or material, thickness, size, warranty, and trial period also impact the price. Some companies do not offer very high-quality products but they charge a premium price due to the brand name. There isn’t much point in selecting such a seller since your main agenda should be to get a high-quality mattress for back pain.
Moreover, we must also mention that some companies offer free shipping and free mattress removal and installation services (including in the cost of the mattress) that can add up to the price. Pay special attention to this feature since paying for shipping and installation can add up to $300 to the actual price.
All in all, expect to spend between $800-1500 for a decent mattress for back pain. If you want a luxurious product, then it can go up to $2,000.